No matter the season, it’s always a good time to give back. Many studies have shown that giving to others not only amplifies happiness, but it can also lead to better physical health and increased longevity.
Summer is a particularly enjoyable time to give back because the weather is warm, meaning you can do more outdoors. The sun and warm summer air offer opportunities to give back that aren’t as logistically feasible in the winter months. We’ve compiled a few summer ideas for giving back that will make your heart – and others – smile with happiness.
Ideas for Giving Back this Summer
- Beautify your neighborhood by planting something. Whether you contribute to a community garden, plant flowers throughout medians in the middle of your local roads, or put in a small garden in an otherwise rundown area, putting some gorgeous plants into the earth enriches the soil and the people around it.
- Food bank donations typically decline in the summer, as more people go on vacation and fewer people think of it without the cold weather linferring around. Head over to your local food bank and bring some canned food to help those who need it most. If you have a little extra time, take it a step further by volunteering at the food bank as well.
- Give away your goodies. Make room for your heavy fall garb by purging your home of old clothing, towels, blankets, kitchen supplies, shoes, and other textiles. Donate your lightly worn and used clothing to those in need; not only will you clear out the clutter in your own home, but you’ll provide others with much needed garments.
- Volunteer at a summer camp. Kids are at camps all summer long, but sometimes those camps are understaffed and could use additional support. Many communities have events for kids throughout the summer – from outdoor movie nights to outdoor sports festivals – that may need your help.
- Run or bike for charity. The summer is full of 5Ks, 10Ks, half marathons, bike rides, and other races that raise money for a specific cause. Pick a cause you’re passionate about and start training! The fall is a great time for races due to the beautiful weather, and summer is a great time to train.
- Host a clean up at a local river, park, stream, or beach. The more people you recruit to help, the easier the job will be! Pick a local outdoor spot, grab a few garbage bags, and head out to nature to beautify it so all in your community can enjoy it.
How do you give back in the summer? We’d love to hear about the amazing things you do!